Washlaw is no longer updated as of June 1, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Resources for Lawyers
Law Jobs International
- ABA Section of International Law
- "It is an interesting fact that international members who live and practice outside the United States represent almost 20 percent of ABA International’s membership and span the globe covering ninety countries." Find articles, and join this section of the ABA.
- Attorneys in Paradise
- "Help-wanted ads in the legal press tempt stateside lawyers with visions of hammocks strung between palm trees and tropical drinks in coconut shells. But ask almost any American attorney who has worked in Micronesia and they’re likely to say the reality is quite different—and vastly more rewarding."
- Directory of American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries
- Uniworld Business Publications, Inc. (14th ed., 1996) This is a 3 volume set. There is a cost; buy the books here, used or new.
- Employment Opportunities at the United Nations
- This also includes information on internships.
- Euro-American Lawyers Group "EALG"
- How to Avoid Overseas Job Scams
- Information Holdings Inc.
- Global Intellectual Property Employment Web site for Copyright, Patent, Trademark, licensing and Litigation law for Attorneys, Legal Support Staff and Agents with Online news, information, legal products, conferences, advertising opportunities and services.
- Internet Legal Research Group
- "Welcome to the Internet Legal Research Group. A categorized index of more than 4000 select web sites in 238 nations, islands, and territories, as well as thousands of locally stored web pages, legal forms, and downloadable files, this site was established in 1995 to serve as a comprehensive resource of the information available on the Internet concerning law and the legal profession, with an emphasis on the United States of America. Designed for everyone, lay persons and legal scholars alike, it is quality controlled to include only the most substantive legal resources online."
- Job in the Sun
- "JobintheSun.com is the premier resource for Overseas Jobs in the Caribbean region. With more Caribbean Jobs than any other site with jobs abroad or International jobs and a more pro-active approach with lower membership fees, you have already made the first step in the right direction to get your Job in the Sun." Choose "Legal Services."
- Legal Recruiters
- Over 300 links to attorney recruiting firms, including the UK, Canada, U.S., and other locations.
- Oveseas Atlantic Legal Jobs, Law
- Public Service and International Law: A Guide to Professional Opportunities in the United States and Abroad
- Published by Yale and Harvard. "Chapters describe employment opportunities at the UN, intergovernmental organizations, the US government, and nonprofit organizations, fellowships and grants. Suggested employment and job search strategies are provided for each type of agency or organization, as well as contact information." There are many more similar books listed on this site.
- Provides students and graduates with key information about recruitment processes at top city firms in the UK.
- Work Abroad Job Search
- Monster.com database where you can search by Country, or all locations, and by job category. Choose "Law Enforcement and Security" or "Legal" to find overseas jobs. Although many are searching for paralegals and legal secretarys, keep searching through the many pages to find attorney jobs.
- World Intellectual Property Organization,
- Job Vacancies -- Geneva, Switzerland.